Saturday, September 1, 2012

Book Review: The Host by Stephenie Meyer


Title: The Host
Author:  Stephenie Meyer 
First Published: January 1st, 2008

Genre: Sci-Fi, Dystopia
Pages: 864
Rating: 5 out of 5




Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.
Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOSTis a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.

The Host started out a little rough for me. It is written from the perspective of a parasitic alien who has just entered into a human body. Stephenie Meyer is talented at taking an out-there plot and making it ridiculously compelling and romantic.

Wanderer has lived on 9 different worlds and never found anything or anyone that would tie her down. She finds Earth to be the hardest, yet most intriguing, place she has ever lived. The hosts are so individualized. So emotional. They are strong. They fight. Wanderer feels weak because she can't completely get rid of her host body's original spirit...Melanie.

Wanderer remembers Melanie's memories, feels Melanie's emotions...and loves the man Melanie loves. But loving him means betraying her own species and way of life.

What a wonderfully smart and creative read this was for me!

Names like Cloud Spinner, Wanderer, Seeker, Glass Spires & Sunlight Passing Through the Ice. Planets like the Singing World, Fire World, The See Weeds & The Bats. That was interesting, and original! And creative.

Not only does it have this creative thread that runs through the book, it is a book about relationships. All different kinds of interesting relationships. I really related with Wanda, the main character, and her dilemmas and desires. I liked her and wanted her to be happy. The ending suited my tastes, too.

For some reason, The Host started to drag for me in the middle. It got a little long and drawn out from all the excitement of the beginning and the ending. But, all in all it was a great read. I haven't read something that fufilled the creative and fantasy wants in my brain for a very long time. "The Host" did that for me. 


                                              5/5

Thanks to Mrs. Michele over at InsaneAboutBooks  for giving me the opportunity to read this wonderful book! 




                        


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review! I read The Host years ago. At first I didn't want to, because I was afraid it would be a big disappointment after Twilight. A friend of mine recommended it and I'm glad she did, because it's a great read. One of the few books that really stayed with me all those years. I'm glad you enjoyed it just as much :)

Michele said...

You are SO welcome Trajce!! I'm SO glad you liked it!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review I'm really glad you liked this one! I'm really on the fence about reading any Stephanie Meyer book after Twilight but I might check this one out :)

Megan said...

I've been unsure about reading this one, but maybe I'll give it a try.