Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


Title: Shatter Me 
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Published: November 15th 2011

Genre: Dystopian, YA
Pages: 338
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


My review: I finished reading Shatter Me a week ago. And I still remember the good parts of it. That means I remember the whole book. Because It was full of great moments.

Juliette's touch is lethal. Her touch does bad things. People die from her touch. That's why she is locked up in a cell for a long time. So she doesn't do bad things to people. No one can touch her. But... she founds out that Adam, the boy she falls in love with can actually touch her without a bad thing happening to him.

Shatter Me if one hell of a great book. I thought it would be all sci-fi, dystopian, action, but no. It was more a dystopian romance. Almost forbidden romance in a dystopian society.

I usually don't like lovey dovey books, with a lot of romance in it, but Shatter Me is a great exception. 

Why is that? Well first: I loved the writing style Tahereh Mafi uses (bravo for her). It's so original and nothing like I've ever read before; then I loved the character development. The characters personalities grew more and more towards the end of the book. And third: I loved the whole 'X Men factor'. How, let's say 'magic' is used in a dystopian book. You'll see what I'm talking when you get to the end of the book.

Over all, Shatter Me is a great read for everyone who likes dystopian books, with not too much action; and romance, a lot of it.


                                                     4.5 stars





2 comments:

Samantha said...

Love this book! One of my favorites!

Samantha said...

Love this book! One of my favorites!